Archive

News Archive

News Archive

Thursday, 7 November 2013

BENDIGO TAFE SEEKS $17MILL FROM STATE GOVERNMENT TO END TAFE CRISIS

The Bendigo TAFE has applied to the Liberal National State government for $17million to end the crisis that the State Government caused by its policy of massive TAFE cuts.

Member for Bendigo West, Maree Edwards said she had met with the new interim CEO, Peter Coyne yesterday to find out the TAFE’s action plan to keep open the Bendigo campus in McCrae Street.

Ms Edwards said the State government had already slashed 30 courses and 97 full and part time jobs at Bendigo TAFE.

Ms Edwards said the Bendigo TAFE had applied for $17 million to the state Minister for Higher Education, National Party Minister Peter Hall.

“The National Party allowed regional TAFE’s to be hacked into”.

“I want to know why National Party politician Damian Drum let our TAFE be so run down that it needs a $17 million injection and whether his Liberal National Party government will be providing it”.

Ms Edwards said Bendigo TAFE played a vital role in educating younger and older people in the region and giving them work ready skills”.

Ms Edwards said Labor would be raising this matter in Parliament next sitting week.

“We have to get behind our TAFE. It’s vital to the region”.

Back to news